The Lombard Cemetery began as a community burial plot in 1851 for Babcock’s Grove. The owner of the land, Reuben Mink, officially donated the property to the community, establishing the Babcock’s Grove Cemetery Association. After 1869, when Babcock’s Grove became Lombard, it became the Lombard Cemetery Association. The first burial was on July 11, 1851, although the headstone no longer remains. Over the years, many of Lombard’s most notable residents, including Sheldon and Harriet Peck, William Hammerschmidt, Christia Reade and Charles Assman have been buried here. It features many historic stones with images and symbols that were common during the mid-1800s.
Cemetery restoration began when the property was deemed abandoned by the Village of Lombard. An ad hoc committee was formed with the Lombard Historical Commission and the Lombard Historical Society at the helm. The committee included members of the Park District, Village, Garden Club, and interested residents.
A plan was devised to clean up debris, remove overgrown trees and shrubs, replace the fence, restore fallen gravestones, and establish a memorial garden on the west end of the cemetery. A hard-working team of volunteers led by Rita Schneider of the Historical Commission and chairperson Tom Fetters of the Historical Society was able to turn an eyesore in the community to a beautiful historic site. During the process, 16 buried stones were discovered. The cemetery was granted landmark status by the village in 2011.
Burials still occur, although there are no more plots for sale.
The cemetery is open to the public from dawn until dusk.
The Lombard Historical Society is currently making plans for the continued maintenance of the cemetery. Details forthcoming.
Please contact the Lombard Historical Society to volunteer with future cemetery projects.