The mission of the Society is to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote the history of Lombard and to advocate for our community’s heritage.
The purpose of this Society is educational:
- to investigate and study the history of Lombard and vicinity;
- to preserve, advance and disseminate knowledge of the history of the vicinity;
- to acquire, mark, and conserve historical sites;
- to collect, preserve and display papers, books, records, relics and other items of historical interest;
- to identify and protect historical buildings;
- to cooperate with and assist the Lombard Historical Commission in its acquisition, maintenance and operation of historical sites and buildings, specifically, the Lombard Historical Museum at 23. W. Maple Street and the Sheldon Peck Homestead at 355 E. Parkside as outlined in the Society and Village of Lombard contract.
As the stewards of Lombard’s heritage, we will make the past meaningful in order to impact our community’s present and future.
Founding of the Society
Founded in 1970, the Lombard Historical Society is a
501(c)(3) not-for-profit membership-based organization located in Lombard, Illinois. It operates two historic house museums and maintains an archive and artifact collection for research and interpretation. The LHS museums are primarily supported by a portion of the hotel/motel tax of Lombard. The LHS is governed by the Board of Management and operated by staff which includes one full-time director, three part-time employees, and dozens of regular volunteers and docents.
Lombard is located 20 miles west of Chicago's Loop in DuPage County, and was incorporated in 1869. The town was known as Babcock's Grove before 1869. It was settled in the 1830s following the removal of American Indians from northern Illinois after the Black Hawk War. The Galena and Chicago Union Railroad first stopped in Lombard in 1849, forming a bedroom community for Chicago businessmen. In 1927, Col. William Plum bequeathed his world-renowned lilac collection and house to be the Village's first public park (designed by Jens Jensen) and library. Due to this gift, Lombard has since been known as the "Lilac Village" and in May 2010 celebrated the 80th Anniversary of Lilac Time festivities.